Multiphase field coupling

solid-solid phase transformations, influence of stresses and strains
shaojielv
anti_bot: 333

Multiphase field coupling

Post by shaojielv » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:25 pm

Hello,
I want to use MICRESS to carry out multi-field coupling. May I ask whether the software can be used to carry out the coupling of temperature field and deformation field to realize the influence of precipitate phase and dislocation density? I look forward to your advice.
I am looking forward to your reply. Wish you a happy life and success in your work.
Lv Shaojie

shaojielv
anti_bot: 333

Re: Multiphase field coupling

Post by shaojielv » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:19 am

What I mainly want to know here is the influence of multiple fields on the precipitated phase. In addition, if I want to use Micress to simulate solid phase transformation, can we take the composition factor into consideration?
Thank you very much for your help!

Bernd

Re: Multiphase field coupling

Post by Bernd » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:33 am

Dear shaojielv,

MICRESS does not offer simultaneous coupling to 2D/3D-temperature and concentration fields. The reason for that is that these two fields usually have very different length scales, and for this reason it is practically impossible to find useful boundary conditions for the simulation domain. Instead, MICRESS does offer the combination of full concentration coupling with coupling to a macroscopic 1d-temperature field. This in our opinion makes much more sense because on the length scale of solute diffusion temperature can easily be approximated by a 1d-field, which then can be explicitly calculated on the process scale using a simplified plate, cylinder or spherical geometry together with an iterative approach (B. Böttger, J. Eiken, M.Apel, Phase-field simulation of microstructure formation in technical castings – A self-consistent homoenthalpic approach to the micro–macro problem J. Comput. Phys. 228 (2009), 6784-6795).

MICRESS can also use dislocation density fields to model recrystallisation or include an extra driving force to phase transformation. Currently, however, the use of local dislocation densities is possible only in single-phase simulations. Otherwise, the dislocation densities must be averaged on the grain level.

Bernd