setting of separated simulation

solid-solid phase transformations, influence of stresses and strains
liyc
anti_bot: 333

Re: setting of separated simulation

Post by liyc » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:23 pm

Dear Bernd,

thank you very much for your help. I think I need a new phase diagram for this situation. Perhaps I need to try a TC coupling method. I'll discuss it with my supervisor. Hope I can figure it out at the end.
Thank you!

Best regards,
Liyc

mtoloui

Post by mtoloui » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi
In the case of growth under faceted anisotropy with just one facet say

# Number of possible orientations of a facet 1
# 1 -th normal vector facet 1 ? 3*

growth in directions of 0 or 90 degrees have very high aspect ratio but growth in 45 degrees have lower aspect ratio (similar to circle). I believe it is because of the grid anisotropy in the solution of the phase field.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi mtoloui,

This is easily possible, though hard to say without more details. If so, it the artifact should vanish with higher grisd resolution!

But which is the connection to the actual thread?

Bernd

mtoloui

Post by mtoloui » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:18 am

Hi Bernd,
I unfortunately did not get your point. Even very fine mesh size does not help much.
Best regards

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi mtoloui,

if the results do not depend on the grid resolution or on the interface thickness, it cannot be a grid effect :) ...

Try to increase the interface thickess. In case of a low interface thicknes, a facet which is not parallel to the grid may exhibit more noise on the gradient vector, and thus may not behave like a facet.
The problem could also depend on kappa: If the facet is defined to be too sharp (in function of the orientation angle), in an oblique interface most interface grid cells may lie "outside" and not behave like a facet.

Maybe, you should upload an image to show the problem with the different aspect ratios!

Bernd