Periodic material

solid-solid phase transformations, influence of stresses and strains
bjfb
anti_bot: 333

Periodic material

Post by bjfb » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:28 pm

I would like to simulate a solid state transformation with periodic boundary conditions. More precisely an austenite to ferrite transformation, is this possible?
In the end would like to a periodic arrangement of phases.

Bernd

Re: Periodic material

Post by Bernd » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:15 pm

Dear bjfb,

Welcome to the MICRESS forum!

Of course, MICRESS can handle periodic boundary conditions. Presently, the following types of boundary conditions are available:

phase-field variable:
insulation, symmetric, periodic, gradient, fixed, wetting
concentration fields: insulation, symmetric, periodic, gradient, fixed

Additional options are given in case of coupling to stress, flow, temperature or a 1D temperature field.

Typically, the same boundary condition is used for the phase-field variable and the concentration fields. The conditions can be specified individually for each side of the domain. Periodic boundary conditions are usually used pair-wise for opposite boundaries of the domain.
If periodic boundary conditions are used, the result of the simulation is automatically a periodic arrangement of the phases. If initial grains are set on a periodic boundary, they automatically appear also on the opposite side of the domain.

A 3D example for an austenite-to-ferrite simulation can be seen at the bottom of the "Picture gallery" which you can access on this page from the menu at the left side. You can also download our standard examples under "Downloads" which contain several sets of input+result files related to the gamma-alpha reaction.

Did you already get some experiences with MICRESS?

Best wishes

Bernd

bjfb
anti_bot: 333

Post by bjfb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:54 pm

Hello.

No. I'm completly in tyhe dark and i just began reading the info about the software. By the way, any recomendations on my inication?

The best regards
BJFB

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi BJFB,

Well, you could do it the hard way and read the MICRESS manuals which you can get following the "Downloads" link! Volume 0 is kind of an introduction which could be interesting for you.

For understanding the theory how MICRESS is working, I recommend our reference publication:

J. Eiken , B.Böttger, I.Steinbach, Multiphase-Field approach for multicomponent alloys with extrapolation scheme for numerical application, Phys. Rev. E 73 066122 (2006).

For applications to the field of steels there are also some publications which could be interesting for you:

- B.Böttger, M.Apel, J.Eiken, P.Schaffnit, I.Steinbach, Phase-field simulation of solidification and solid-state transformations in multicomponent steels, Steel Research International 79 8 (2008) 608
- J. Rudnizki, B. Böttger, U. Prahl, and W. Bleck, Phase-Field Modeling of Austenite Formation from a Ferrite plus Pearlite Microstructure during Annealing of Cold-Rolled Dual-Phase Steel, METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A 42A (2011) 2516
- B. Böttger, M. Apel, B. Santillana, and D.G. Eskin: Relationship Between Solidification Microstructure and Hot Cracking Susceptibility for Continuous Casting of Low-Carbon and High-Strength Low-Alloyed Steels: A Phase-Field Study, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 44 5 (2013) 3765. DOI: 10.1007/s11661-013-1732-9

You can find more publications under "MICRESS references". If you are not able to access the papers above, I can send you a personal copy.

But the best way to learn about the software and its application would be to participate in our next MICRESS Training Course here in Aachen/Germany in March 3-5 2015!

Bernd