activity boundary condition

solid-solid phase transformations, influence of stresses and strains
tatalemon
anti_bot: 333

Re: activity boundary condition

Post by tatalemon » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 am

Hi, Bernd,

I think if there exists an oxygen activity gradient across the oxide, then the A and B must move, because the system satisfies the thermodynamic relationship Gibbs-Duhem Equation:
112.jpg
112.jpg (11.98 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
In which, you have chosen one matrix component and used the diffusion potential to replace Chemical potential in the equation of diffusion flux, so that make it independent, right?
So A and B should move, do you think so ?

However, I have questions about how MICRESS will calculate the initial quasi-equilibrium at the interface? As I have tried, the initial composition of different phase is totally wrong output on the screen, for example, there should be no A and B existing in the gas phase, but the initial composition for quasi-equilibrium calculation output on the screen include A and B (which is the same problem as average composition) , so do you have some good solution to this problem ??

regards,
tatalemon

Bernd

Re: activity boundary condition

Post by Bernd » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi tatalemon,

I think when considering the three sublattices as you defined them, A and B would not move. It is just the relation of B+ and B2+ which would change and which you did not include in the Gibbs-Duhem relation.
If you replace the chemical potential with the diffusion potential, i.e. if you neglect VA on the sublattices, then of course a movement of O2- would require A or B to move to the opposite direction. But I think this is an artifact of using the diffusion potential (which is what MICRESS does).
In reality there are also interactions between O and A,B. They could be included e.g. by cross diffusion terms if you had a mobility database or construct a simple one yourself. Then, the composition difference in O2- would drive A and B. But the problem of VA and choosing a matrix component is still there...

With "initial composition" you mean the "Start Composition for iteration of quasi-equilibrium"? This output is just reflecting the database definition, and the default major compositions. Thermo-Calc creates them if you use "SET_DEFAULT_MAJOR_COMPOSITIONS".
If in this output A and B are included in the gas phase, then it would be an error of the thermodynamic database...

Bernd