Austenite to Pearlite Transformation

solid-solid phase transformations, influence of stresses and strains
SuperX
anti_bot: 333

Re: Austenite to Pearlite Transformation

Post by SuperX » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Dear Bernd:

I really appreciate it that you can take some time to run the driving file. I am also trying to change parameters to get a reasonable result. The corresponding .ges5 file is in the attatchment.

Thank you again and wish you a nice weekend.

SuperX
Attachments
FE_C_Si_solidification_liq_fcc_graphite_bcc_cementite.zip
(8.13 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:53 pm

Dear SuperX,

although not at all perfect, the attached input file is at least able to provide pearlite growth between the graphite spheres. I found out that you switched off the expansion solver which Janin proposed you to use - without that there is a strong unrealistic Mn segregation around graphite and the effect of 110% carbon content of graphite. The volume data for ferrite and cementite are just taken over from austenite and graphite, so there is plenty of room for improvements...
I changed several other things. Given the fact that that you are under time pressure, I just send you the file and can provide explanations later if you wish.

Bernd
Attachments
kuai.txt
(39.32 KiB) Downloaded 321 times

SuperX

Post by SuperX » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:21 am

Dear Bernd:

I have runed the driving file and the result mekes me happy. Really thankyou for those professional changes which I can not do on my own.
I want to ask something about the effective phase model: in "-phas.mcr" data pearlite phase is presented with colour blue, which means interface. That does make sense because pearlite is neither ferrite nor cementite. I don't know...Is this alway the case when people use the " the effective phase model"?

Best regards
Super X

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi SuperX,

nice that my input file makes you happy :) !

Yes, it is true that the pearlite phase mixture is typically blue (-1, interface) in the .phas output. In order to visualize the individual pearlite grains, you should use the .orie output which n case of the effective phase model always displays the orientation of the lamellae phase grain (=cementite).

Bernd

shaojielv

Post by shaojielv » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:47 am

Bernd,
In the process of reading your reply, I found that you mentioned graphite here and set it to faceted_b, I don't understand why it is set here? And what is the point of setting graphite? In addition, the number of grains at the beginning? Why is it zero?
Hope to get your help.
Best.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:12 am

Dear shaojielv,

This was an application of the forum member SuperX. As far as I remember it was some type of gray iron which forms graphite during solidification. Proposing a faceted anisotropy model was just an initial try, as graphite can take various rather complex morphologies. There are no initial grains defined because he started from pure melt.

Bernd