using 1d_temperature module fo solid solid transformation

solid-solid phase transformations, influence of stresses and strains
Mehnoush
anti_bot: 333

using 1d_temperature module fo solid solid transformation

Post by Mehnoush » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:39 am

Hi Bernd,

is it possible to use 1d_temperature model for solid solid transformation?. There is AlCu_id temperature model in examples of Micress which start from the liquid (simulates solidification). i want to use this model but i don't want to simulate solidification. also i wanted to know how the AlCu_Temp1d_latHeatData file is created

thank you for your help
Mehnoush

Bernd

Re: using 1d_temperature module fo solid solid transformation

Post by Bernd » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:32 pm

Dear Menoush,

in the T004_AlCu_Temp1d_dri example, the 1d-temperature field is used with the Homoenthalpic Approach in order to achieve the correct coupling between the macroscopic temperature field and microstructure formation (local release of latent heat). For reference please read

B. Böttger, J. Eiken, M.Apel, Phase-field simulation of microstructure formation in technical castings – A self-consistent homoenthalpic approach to the micro–macro problem J. Comput. Phys. 228 (2009), 6784-6795.

In case of solid-solid reactions, the time scale typically is much longer, and latent heat rarely is an issue. Maybe there are occasions where you nevertheless want to simulate yourself the 1d-temperature field, but I never had such a case. It is certainly possible, but why do you want to do that?

In the Homoenthalpic Approach, the enthalpy-temperature relationship is obtained iteratively from latent heat. AlCu_Temp1d_latHeatData is essentially a copy of the .dTLat output which has been obtained at the end of these iterations.

Bernd

Mehnoush

Post by Mehnoush » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi Bernd,
actually what i exacly want to do is to simulate the microstructure evolutions in the rim zone of the workpiece under EDM process. as result of induced thermal energy, we will have a melting and resolidifications on the surface of workpiece and solid-solid transformation in the surface sublayers (heat affected zone). i want to simulate the phase transformation in HAZ (only solid solid transformation) but with consideration effect of resolidified layer using the (1d temperature module). on the oder words, to solve the heat transfer for the whole rim zone (resolidfied- HAZ), but simulation of phase transformation only for HAZ.
i hope i could of explain the problem a little better,
thanks alot for your help :)
Mehnoush

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:14 pm

Ok, now I understand.

This of course is a use of the 1d-temperature field which makes much sense. However, it means that solid-liquid transition should appear in the range of the 1d-field, even though not in the microstructure domain itself. That means, you need a latHeatData file which contains data for the whole temperature range, and a question is how to get it...

The correct way would be to perform a MICRESS solidification simulation with cooling down to the temperature range which you need for the heat affected zone. The obtained .dTLat file (with or without homoenthalpic iteration) would serve as latHeatData file for your simulation of the heat-affected zone. This could also be done with a simple simulation without 1d-temperature coupling.

Alternatively, the enthalpy-temperature relationship, cp-T (which is its first derivative) and lambda-T (which can be obtained from fraction averaging of heat conductivity data of the pure-phases) could also be calculated by Thermo-Calc or using other approximative models.

Bernd

Mehnoush

Post by Mehnoush » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:35 pm

thanks for your help :).