NPLE redistribution model

solid-solid phase transformations, influence of stresses and strains
Farnaz
anti_bot: 333

NPLE redistribution model

Post by Farnaz » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:15 pm

Hi

I was wondering to know when should I use the NPLE option in MICRESS.

In other words, by using this option (which considers the influence of alloying elements), can I show that the transformation proceeds via para equilibrium condition (the influence of alloying elements considered and they became negligible)? Or, must I know (experimentally, for example) that the NPLE exists, then it is correct to use this redistribution behavior? Or does using this behavior, help us only to determine the expected kinetics (and not the redistribution of the alloying elements near the interfacial region)?
I am looking for numerical techniques that can help me to show the redistribution of alloys in NPLE condition and I wanted to check if MICRESS can be used for this pupose (indirectly probably, since the numerical interface is much larger than the NPLE redistribution length...).

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Farnaz

Bernd

Re: NPLE redistribution model

Post by Bernd » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:27 pm

Dear Farnaz,

MICRESS cannot predict whether a phase transformation is following a para-equilibrium or nple behaviour. You need either to know it beforehand, to find it experimentally (e.g. by identifying the pile-up at the atomic scale), or to find it by comparison between experiment and MICRESS simulation: Essentially, apart from the atomistic segregation peak, the main difference between the two modes consists in the driving force, which can lead to different transformation temperatures. And these can be found by comparison between experiments and simulation.

You can also see the redistribution behaviour in the MICRESS results by looking at the .cPha outputs at the interface region.

Bernd