Phase diagram

solid-solid phase transformations, influence of stresses and strains
Roscoe
anti_bot: 333

Phase diagram

Post by Roscoe » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:14 am

Hello,
How do I utilize phase diagram data without using a database? For the system with Fe-C-Mn, is the ternary phase diagram drawn to get the data? Or do I use two binary phase diagrams to get the data? Also, how do I get entropy of fusion data?I am currently using version 6.4 of MICRESS.
Best,
Roscoe
Attachments
phase diagram.png
phase diagram.png (49.52 KiB) Viewed 6298 times

Bernd

Re: Phase diagram

Post by Bernd » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:07 am

Dear Roscoe,

Indeed, it is the multicomponent phase diagram which you should use for obtaining the linearisation data for MICRESS. Using the binary phase diagrams would only be correct in case of dilute alloys.

Obtaining linearised descriptions for multicomponent systems is not trivial. You can do that by using isothermal triangular phase diagrams at different temperatures. If you have access to a database and MICRESS with TC-coupling, the easiest solution (apart from using the database directly) would be to export a linearized description and use it in the "linTQ" mode.

In case of multiphase simulations (e.g. peritectic reaction) further effort is needed to ensure compatibility (same composition from different phase interactions) at the triple junctions.

It is difficult to obtain entropy of fusion values without having access to a database. Essentially, what you really need is the derivative of the driving force with temperature. In case of solidification, in most cases this value is close to 1 Jcm-3K.

Bernd