Grain Orientation

ripening phenomena, dislocations, grainboundary topology
khajezade
anti_bot: 333

Grain Orientation

Post by khajezade » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:23 am

Hi there,

I am trying to attach orientation to each grain for my grain growth simulations. I can do this task. I use Euler angles (ZXZ keyword) for orientation definition and my simulation domain is 2D. The simulation ends up successfully and I can see grain growth events. However, I cannot understand the output i.e. *millx, *milly, and *millz. the range of the numbers are from -10 to 5.3E5. What are these numbers? How can I scale (or convert) them to IPF colours?

Thanks,

Ali

janin

Re: Grain Orientation/Miller Indices

Post by janin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:22 pm

If you choose output of Miller-Indices, you will get three output files: '*.millx', '*.milly' and '*.millz'
The '*.millx' file contains the miller-indices QRS,
the '*.milly' file contains the miller-indices HKL and
the '*.millz' file contains the miller-indices UVW.
(see Micress manual, volume 2, 4.3.1. page 65)

A difficulty is that the Micress output of miller-indices is coded in order to store the three integer values for each direction as a single value.
The coding is done by:
CodeQRS = 10000 * Q + 100 * R + S
CodeHKL = 10000 * H + 100 * K + L
CodeUVW = 10000 * U + 100 * V + W

The individual values can be restored by use of the modulo operation,
e.g:
S = CodeQRS mod 100
CodeQRS' = (CodeQRS-S)/100
R = CodeQRS' mod 100
Q = (CodeQRS'-R)/100

A former version of Display_Micress was able to do this decoding and to directly plot the inverse polar figue. However, since the miller output has not been requested by any customer for a long time, this feature somehow got lost, i.e. it has not yet been adopted to the new Display-Micress software. This should be done soon. For the time being I can only recommend to download the old Display-Micress version 6.1 from our webpage for this task.

Janin

khajezade
anti_bot: 333

Re: Grain Orientation

Post by khajezade » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi Janin;

Thank you so much for your reply. So, I'll try to go for an old version of DP-MICRESS.

Best Regards,

Ali