KKS model

Exchange about the physics background, diffuse interface theory, etc..
Jane
anti_bot: 333

KKS model

Post by Jane » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:39 pm

Hello everyone,

As far as I know, the KKS model is used in the quasi - binary model, so can it be used in the ternary and quaternary model? Or why did the KKS model come up? I hope you can help me. Thank you very much.

Jane

Bernd

Re: KKS model

Post by Bernd » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:53 pm

Dear Jane,

The Kim-Kim-Suzuki (KKS) phase field model is a fundamental phase-field approach which uses separate compositions for each phase and assumes equal chemical potentials (more exactly diffusion potentials) as equilibrium condition. Although we in the MICRESS group developed our equivalent approach already before, including the multi-phase (and later also multicomponent) case, unfortunately they were the first to publish it for binary systems - hence the name "KKS".

However, the way how the equilibrium condition (we call it "quasi-equilibrium") is defined has nothing to do with how we couple this calculations to Thermo-Calc and how we extrapolate this condition. Thus, TQ-coupling and the different extrapolation types "multi-binary", "diagonal", and "multi-ternary", which I have described here in detail, are not part of the KKS model.

Bernd