Para-equilibrium growth in MICRESS

Exchange about the physics background, diffuse interface theory, etc..
kmukherj
anti_bot: 333

Para-equilibrium growth in MICRESS

Post by kmukherj » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:02 pm

Hello,

How can I couple MICRESS with Thermocalc with the condition that I want paraequilibrium growth.

Thanks,

sincerely,

Krishnendu Mukherjee

Bernd

Re: Para-equilibrium growth in MICRESS

Post by Bernd » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:55 am

Dear Krishnendu,

The Para-equilibrium condition using Thermo-Calc has been implemented in MICRESS recently. It will probably be available to beta testers with the next release which is planned to come soon. There is still need for testing, unfortunately it works only with TQ version S.

Bernd

kmukherj
anti_bot: 333

Post by kmukherj » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:32 am

Dear Dr. Böttger,

Currently when I couple MICRESS with Thermo-Calc, what is the type of equilibrium that is considered? I did a simulation with 0,1 wt% Carbon and 1,4 wt% Mn. The initial phase is austenite. After ferrite formation I found the concentration of Mn in bulk austenite is 1,4; in bulk ferrite it is 1,395. And in the interface it spikes to 1,41. Carbon has complete partitioning between austenite and ferrite.

Thanking you,

Sincerely,

Krishnendu

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:02 pm

Dear Krishnendu,

currently, normal (ortho-)equilibrium is calculated. But because of the slow diffusion of interstitial elements in steels, the pile-up of these elements is "overrun" by the thick interface. The behaviour which is predicted by MICRESS under these conditions is typically between NPLE and para-equilibrium, but closer to para-equilibrium.

Bernd