Problems with installation of version 6

FAQs about installation, license manager, pecularities of specific operating systems
zhubq

Problems with installation of version 6

Post by zhubq » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi Bernd,

we do have version 6. Unfortunately, it is not well installed for linking to TQ .
I discussed via email with you a few months ago. Unfortunately, the administrator of our computer did not solve it.
That's why I am using 5. :(

Bernd

Re: Artifact?

Post by Bernd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi Ben,

We thought the problem had been solved those times :(

Ralph will contact you to get the issue solved!

Bernd

zhubq

Post by zhubq » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Hi Bernd,

Thank you and Ralph.
I can run MICRESS6.3 now.
However, I got the error:
Sentinel RMS Development Kit: Error[17]: Probably no servers are running on this subnet.
TQ initialization failed(no license?)

Ben

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi Ben,

I guess you mean MICRESS 6.003...

Sounds like if the Sentinel licence server is not set up correctly for your computer (subnet). Does Thermo-Calc version S work there correctly? If your administrator does not succeed to fix that, Ralph will assist him!
Note also that you have to replace your .GES5 file by one which has been created using the new Thermo-Calc version S. Otherwise (at least if it contains mobility data) it would probably crash!

As intermediate solution you could try to run the TQ_R version of MICRESS 6. This is using the older TQ library which still works with the flexlm licencing system like in MICRESS 5. But note that this TQ-version does not support "paraTQ" and that it also won't be supported longer in the next MICRESS release 6.1 which is expected to come soon!

Best wishes

Bernd

zhubq

Post by zhubq » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:03 pm

Bernd,

We do not have Thermo_calc installed on the Linux server. I don't know how MICRESS calls TQ as the old version 5beta can do this.
One of my colleagues said something about calling TQ on another Windows computer.
I have attached my simulation files.
Could you please try running the simulation on your computer just to make sure the problem is not due to the inputs.
Thank you.

Ben
Attachments
TQ-coupled.rar
(11.48 KiB) Downloaded 397 times

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi Ben,

I now tried to run your example using the attached .ges5 file. During the weekend I could try only 32 bit Windows, now also Linux 32/64 bit. Obviously, the .GES5 file which you are using has been created with an old Thermo-Calc R version and cannot be run with TQ_S, although you are not using mobility data! Sometimes old TC_R-files still work with TQ_S if no mobility data are involved, but I am also not aware of all the details of compatibility issues with Thermo-Calc binary files...

Please check whether you have access to a sufficiently recent version of Thermo-Calc version S! It does not matter whether it is on Linux or Windows.

I am not sure whether updating the .ges5 file will change your licence problem, but you will have to do it anyway! Tomorrow Ralph will be back from his holidays and can assist you with the licence issue.

Bernd

zhubq

Post by zhubq » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi Bernd,

Maybe I used TCR to create the GES file previously. Now I have attached the one created by TCS.

Ben

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Can't see the attachment, but anyway...

I guess you got the same Sentinel error message, indicating that no licence server is set up, right?

Bernd

ralph
anti_bot: 333

Re: Problems with installation of version 6

Post by ralph » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Ben,

a quotation of my email for info of other users:
TQ (version S, resp. 7) is a third party (Thermo-Calc) library with it’s own license management. Thermo-Calc switched to a Safenet Sentinel license management. Therefore an additional installation is necessary (section 3.2.2. of MICRESS manual volume 1). Additional information can be found in the Thermo-Calc manuals. There should be a PDF in the directory ‘Safenet’.
As FlexLM, license manager (lserv) has to be installed on a server machine (reachable from the batch, too).
We deliver the necessary tools in the MICRESS Safenet directory. A typical configuration for starting the license manager is

lserv -s <license file> -l /tmp/lserv_use.log -f /tmp/lserv_err.log

The process need write access to the location of the log files, i.e. starting the process "lserv" with administrator privileges is recommended.
The license file is provided by MICRESS and includes only the TC_TQ feature for TQ library usage, typically the file is named 'lservrc'.

Hope that helps.

Ralph