problem of coupling with Thermo-Calc

FAQs about installation, license manager, pecularities of specific operating systems
Ls_Thu
anti_bot: 333

problem of coupling with Thermo-Calc

Post by Ls_Thu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:03 am

Dear Bernd,

My name is Sal li, a student of School of Material Science and Engineering,Tsinghua University.

We have purchased MICRESS 6.300 and Thermo-Calc. But there are some problems when we input keyword 'database' to link them.(as attachment) I don't know how to solve it. It is appreciate to you if you give us some suggestions.

Best wishes!

Sai Li
Last edited by Ls_Thu on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepumaj1

Re: problem of coupling with Thermo-Calc

Post by deepumaj1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:32 am

Hi Sai Li,
Welcome to Micress Forum.

I think your PC is having a problem with finding a license for Micress. In older versions of Micress, the license check was done before the very start of reading the input file. But in the newer versions, the license check is somehow done a bit later. Hence, though you are seeing this error at the time Micress reads the keyword 'database', this to my knowledge doesn't look like a ThermoCalc coupling error. This is clearly a Micress license error. Have you tried running a job without coupling? Does that job start without a license error?

Are you using a network license? If yes, I can help you with some pointers...

Best,
Deepu

Ls_Thu

Post by Ls_Thu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:02 am

Dear Deepu,

Thank you for your reply!

We have not done any work without database. But the MICRESS could run normally until it. We have network license, I don't know if you could find the recording(Professor Zhigang-Yang group). But our host computer could not connect with extranet for some reasons....

Best wishes!

Sai Li

deepumaj1

Post by deepumaj1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:14 am

Dear Sai Li,
For running a job without database, you can try running a Micress example. You can find it in the Micress installation directory. I would recommend you to run the example Grain_Growth_dri.txt. This one doesn't have a database coupling. This is a quick way of double checking for Micress license error. If there is a license error, Micress should give the same error before the start of running this job.

Since you are in a network license, you need to ensure that the computer you are using now (client) is able to communicate with the license host(intranet communication is sufficient). For this, you can try pinging the host IP from your client machine. ping <IP address of your license server>

I'm attaching a small snapshot to help you. If your PC can successfully ping the host (license server) IP address, we can proceed to the next step..
ip_ping.png
ip_ping.png (7.04 KiB) Viewed 39490 times
Best,
Deepu

Ls_Thu

Post by Ls_Thu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:38 am

Dear Deepu,

Thank you for your reply!

The example seems has some problems, but we could go ahead with our own program if we choose 'no_database'. I can use the host directly now. Need I send the IP to you?

Best wishes!

Sai Li

deepumaj1

Post by deepumaj1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:57 am

Hi Sai Li,
No need to send the IP. Can you give the details of the problem you are facing while running the example?

Deepu

Ls_Thu

Post by Ls_Thu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:07 am

Dear Deepu,

Error after 'overwrite'

Best,

Sai Li
Last edited by Ls_Thu on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepumaj1

Post by deepumaj1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:29 am

Hi Sai Li,
From the inputs you have given here, I'm not sure whats causing this error in the example. It could even be a special character somewhere in the driving file. I'm attaching a driving file that works for me with Micress 6.3. You can give a try with the attached file.

Meanwhile, you can also try checking if your Micress configuration is all set for a Network License. For that, you can do the following two tests.
1. Check if the Micress environment variable has been created with the proper IP address of the license server. Below is a snapshot showing this one. The environment variable AC_MICRESS should have the correct value (@<IP address of your license server>).
env_var.png
env_var.png (7.12 KiB) Viewed 39477 times
2. Check if you have the IP address of your license server in the etc/hosts file. For windows, you can find the etc/hosts in the following location (typically):
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Edit the hosts file with notepad and add the following line (if its not there already)
<IP address of your license server> <space> <hostname of your license server>

A typical example is below..
etc_hosts.png
etc_hosts.png (11.5 KiB) Viewed 39477 times
Deepu
Attachments
Grain_Growth_dri.txt
(9.36 KiB) Downloaded 735 times

Ls_Thu

Post by Ls_Thu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:02 am

Dear Deepu,

Thank you for your reply and suggestion!

The example could run. The similar problem has been occured as you said. Is there something wrong with MICRESS license? How could we solve it?

Best wishes!

Sai Li
Last edited by Ls_Thu on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepumaj1

Post by deepumaj1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:06 am

Hi Sai Li,
Happy to know that the example ran. Have you checked the environment variable and etc\hosts as I mentioned?

If yes, and if the problem still persists, you can do the following. Type in 'verbose', after you reach the point where this error comes. See what comes on your screen. The messages that comes out can help...

Deepu