averaging driving force and analytical curvature

technical aspects of .dri file generation (e.g. debug mode ) etc...
ning

averaging driving force and analytical curvature

Post by ning » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:06 pm

In dimension parameters, "Enable averaging of driving force along the normal to the interface". what will happen mathematically if I enable it.
In deterministic grain positioning, what's the differences between stabilization and analytical curvature?
Thanks.
Ning

Bernd

Re: averaging driving force and analytical curvature

Post by Bernd » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:46 pm

Dear ning,

Welcome to the MICRESS forum! I will try to give you an answer to your questions or the links to threads in this forum where these topics have already been addressed. Please don't hesitate to ask again if not everything is cleared up!

1.) In the dimension parameters, enabling averaging in the first place means, that you have the possibility in the phase interaction input to specify more exactly for each phase pair which type of averaging you want to have (including to switch it off). In so far, this first switch is redundant and could be left out by setting the default to "averaging" - it is there for historical reasons and maybe for the "purists" in phase-field...
The main reason for using averaging is to be able to work at lower resolution, because it prevents the disruption of the interface caused by a too strong gradient of the chemical driving force across the interface. The exact way how averaging is done is explained in this thread.

2.) In nearly all cases, "stabilisation" is the best choice for positioning of grains and also for nucleation. The option "analytical_curvature" should be used only, if the grain or seed is a "small grain" (i.e. smaller than one cell with a vanishing fraction at the beginning) and the correct curvature in this early state is important. There has been already a thread on that.

Bernd