Voronoi Construction

technical aspects of .dri file generation (e.g. debug mode ) etc...
zhubq

Voronoi Construction

Post by zhubq » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi,
during grain input, we can choose voronoi construction.
As far as I know, voronoi construction assign the points nearest to the Voronoi site to its cell.
If there are two round grains overlapping each other (attached below), why is the boundary between them like that, it seems not equidistant line of the two circle-centre points.
I guess it is weighted construction (not equidistant but proportional to the radius), right?
Attachments
Screenshot-2.png
Screenshot-2.png (7.62 KiB) Viewed 2922 times

janin

Re: Voronoi Construction

Post by janin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:45 pm

Yes, it is exactly as you supposed. The radii are used as weigthing factors for the distances. The simple Voronoi construction with straight boundaries is obtained for equal radii. The curved boundaries which can be achieved by chosing slightly different radii are often more realistic, especially to define initial structures for grain growth simulations.

Regards,
Janin

zhubq

Post by zhubq » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:51 am

Thank you for your reply.
actually I used simple Voronoi construction to get straight grain boundaries.
Then to simulate grain growth, the boudary especially near the triple point will be moved and curved,becoming the source for further grain growth. From this point, the triple points have a inflence on the microstructure evolution.
Is that illusive?
Thank you.
janin wrote:Yes, it is exactly as you supposed. The radii are used as weigthing factors for the distances. The simple Voronoi construction with straight boundaries is obtained for equal radii. The curved boundaries which can be achieved by chosing slightly different radii are often more realistic, especially to define initial structures for grain growth simulations.

Regards,
Janin

janin

Post by janin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:38 pm

I don't see why your simulation results should be illusive. To my opinion, you just described the typical mechanisms of grain growth. The triple junctions move in order to adjust the accurate angle and the whole boundaries follow their movement, affected by the curvature. Whether you now start with a weighted Voronoi construction (curved boundaries) or with a simple Voronoi construction (straight boundaries) depends on your basic initial assumptions. If you assume that your initial structure has been obtained directly by growth, than the simple construction is most appropriate. On the other hand, if you assume that some ripening of the structure has already occured and you don't want to simulate this initial ripening explicitlly, you could model it by the weighted construction.

Regards,

Janin