construct a multiphase structure

technical aspects of .dri file generation (e.g. debug mode ) etc...
zhubq

construct a multiphase structure

Post by zhubq » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:33 am

Hi, there.
Does anyone try to construct a multiphase structure in MICRESS?
I am trying to get a DP structure in MICRESS. But it seems not easy to embed martensite into ferrite triple junctions (2D) and/or binary boundaries. Some of them will also be located within ferrite grains.
Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot

Ben

Bernd

Re: construct a multiphase structure

Post by Bernd » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Dear zhubq,

As you certainly know, there are fundamentally three ways of designing initial structures for MICRESS, namely creating random structures, defining the initial microstructure by input of each individual grain, or reading from image files.

Random input is mostly limited to single-phase microstructures like in grain growth, for Ostwald ripening or if the phase regions are well separated.
"Manual" input of each individual grain is quite powerful, but the geometry of each grain is limited to simple shapes like circles, ellipses and squares. By systematically using overlapping and/or Voronoi construction, the possible types of shape could be increased, but with quite a bit of struggle.
Reading initial microstructures from file is especially suitable for experimental microstructures, but it also gives you the possibility of constructing whichever initial situation you need with the help of standard graphical software. After transforming to ASCII format, the file can be read by MICRESS and properties like phase number and orientation can be attributed to the individual grains.

I think, whenever manual setting of grains gets too difficult because the structure is complex or one needs special shapes, one should try to use a graphical tool and read in the structure as ASCII file. But I have to admit that I never tried that myself...

Bernd

ifjanna
anti_bot: 333

Post by ifjanna » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:15 am

Hello everyone
I am totaly new to simulation and going to ask a lot of questions ))

Could someone please let me know how to set the structure dimention into input file?
Example: Phase0 = 0.05 um, phase 2 = 0.3um etc

Regards
Zhanna

[img]
structure.PNG
structure.PNG (2.8 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
[/img]

ralph

Post by ralph » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:20 am

Dear Zhanna,

first you have to define your simulation area in one of the fist sections headed 'geometry' of the driving file.
In the section 'grain input', you define grains according your layered structure and assign phases to them.

# E.g. for a 100 x 100 micrometre 2D simulation area:
AnzX
AnzY
AnzZ
Spacing

# Grain 1 at the bottom of sim area: phase 0, 20 mu
rectangle
# center position in um
# diameter for each dimension
# phase

etc.

Ralph

ralph

Post by ralph » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 am

I forgot to mention that this is a deterministic type of grain input. See examples 'stress' or 'temperature'. The kind of grain input and number of grains has also to be set in the grain input section.

Ralph

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:30 am

Hi Zhanna,

it is also important to have in mind that the origin of the coordinate system is at the bottom left, and that in case of overlap the second grain "overwrites" the first etc.

Bernd

ifjanna

Post by ifjanna » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:34 am

Dear Ralph and Bernd,

Thank You a lot. I will take my time to go through your recomentations

Zh.