Microstructure from file

technical aspects of .dri file generation (e.g. debug mode ) etc...
Bernd

Re: Microstructure from file

Post by Bernd » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi Raina,

how did you do it? In which way it failed?

Bernd

Raina
anti_bot: 333

Post by Raina » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:31 pm

Hello Bernd,

I would like to read the initial structure from file.

However, since the initial structure I would like to read in is from the out put of another software( Monte Carlo ), I might have to construct the input file by myself. Could you give me any pointers as to what the data requirements are? Also how to arrange those data?

if you could give me an input file format or a sample file, that would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Raina

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:05 pm

Dear Raina,

you may have seen my post "Format requirements for reading initial microstructures from file" which is located in this board of the forum. There, the format of the microstructure files which can be used to read the initial microstructure in MICRESS is explained in some detail. As a sample, although only for a single-phases grain structure, you may refer to the file "Grain_Growth_Microstructure.txt" which is located in the Examples directory of your MICRESS installation. Maybe, this already answers your question...

Bernd

khushbu

Post by khushbu » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:33 pm

Dear Bernd,

I have a basic question, when we input a microstructure file i.e. .txt and a grain info file i.e. .txt (euler angle etc). how does Micress read the info for each grain. Is there some order which exists in which the grain info is being read in correspondence to grain structure.

Khushbu

ralph

Post by ralph » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:15 pm

Hi Khushbu,

the read grain IDs are sorted in ascending order.
The properties are questioned following this order.

Best,
Ralph

khushbu

Post by khushbu » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:25 am

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the reply, I am using a preprocessed microstructure file, with corresponding Euler angles and dislocation density for recrystallisation modelling in Micress. The grains from orie file look like this in the attachment. Please let me know what could be the problem here. I have run this file for 0 time and this is the initial structure. Also when I place the cursor on the grains it doent display the euler angle or dislocation density in these initial microstructures.

Khushbu
Attachments
image_micress.docx
(119.14 KiB) Downloaded 298 times

ralph

Post by ralph » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:41 am

Hi Khusbu,

I am not sure how you configured your input and how your property file look like. Do you apply a property block for each grain?

Anyway, your output shows a only single with grain ID 1. Now, I understand your question above.
Looks like your microstructure file only contains a single value for all grain bulks and another single value for the interfaces.
Try 'p' for phase to grain to separate the grains. A new grain ID will be assigned to every closed region.

An alternative method would be to use a VTK file like in example T034_ReX_local_Humphreys. This way you can read in orientation and dislocation density locally.

Best,
Ralph

khushbu

Post by khushbu » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:32 pm

Dear Ralph,

I have another query. The phase which is recrystallizing, is there an input which specifies melting point of the phase? How does it decide the recrystallisation start temperature?

Thanks

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:37 am

Dear khushbu,

The melting point of a phase is defined by the phase diagram input for the interface between liquid (phase 0) and the given phase. This is generally like that and not related to recrystallization.

The recrystallization start temperature can be defined by the nucleation temperature for same phase nuclei, or also by a temperature dependent interface mobility of the recrystallisation reaction, which e.g. would make it fast enough above a certain temperature.

Bernd