Temperature distribution: 3D

technical aspects of .dri file generation (e.g. debug mode ) etc...
RAGHAV

Temperature distribution: 3D

Post by RAGHAV » Thu May 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Dear Bernd,

In the phase field method, if i want to describe the temperature distribution in 3D, how should the equation look like?

What i found closest was just in X-direction from the paper ,

Phase-field simulation of the columnar-to-equiaxed transition in alloy solidification
Arnoldo Badillo, Christoph Beckermann

Concerned part from the paper

In dimensional terms, the temperature distribution T(x, t) is given by

T = To + G(x - Vp . t) ...... (Eq. 5 in the paper)

where T0 is a reference temperature, G is the imposed thermal
gradient, and Vp is the imposed (‘‘pulling’’) speed with
which the profile is translated across the domain.

Best Regards
Raghav

Bernd

Re: Temperature distribution: 3D

Post by Bernd » Fri May 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Dear Raghav,

In MICRESS, if there is no explicit temperature (and only temperature!) coupling, temperature gradients are always described in z direction. Apart from that, the equation which you cite from Beckermann fully applies - with the only difference that Vp is taken out of the parentheses and multiplied with G. Thus, in MICRESS, a temperature gradient and a cooling rate is defined, independently whether 2D or 3D.

To do more complex things, you may use the profiles_from_file (see example Grain_Growth_Profiles_dri) or the 1d_temp option (see here).

I you use the moving_frame option, then of course T0 is changed according to the moving criterion (typically distance from dendrite tip).

Bernd

RAGHAV

Post by RAGHAV » Thu May 16, 2013 7:49 pm

Dear Bernd,

Thanks for the answer.

What paper(s) describe the micress model in general, best in terms of the following relations:

1) Relationship describing evolving solid fraction in terms of temperature
2) Temperature as part of the convective process describing the melt in the mould to be solidified

Some papers for multiphase and multi-component, i have referred to, have complex equations. May be, your advice can help here.

Best Regards
Raghav

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 pm

Dear Raghav,

Some time ago I have opened a thread which lists some of the papers about MICRESS which from my point of view are of most general interest. Nevertheless, most models and methods which are used in MICRESS are not published in detail. More information you can get in the MICRESS User Manual, which you can download from this website, and in this forum.

Best regards

Bernd