output of each step

technical aspects of .dri file generation (e.g. debug mode ) etc...
maraus
anti_bot: 333

output of each step

Post by maraus » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:51 pm

Dear all,

As I was trying to optimize time step sizes during the simulation, I'm wondering is it possible for Micress to save rest.mcr files for time steps that have being specified, rather than the latest one by default?

Best

Bernd

Re: output of each step

Post by Bernd » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi maraus,

Welcome to the MICRESS forum!

A agree with you that it would be quite helpful sometimes to have access to restart files for all output time steps. However, the problem is that the restart files are often such big that it would completely exhaust disk space. Given that the typical use case is that you want to restart from the latest result, we decided to store only the last one (i.e. always overwrite instead of append).

Best wishes
Bernd

maraus

Post by maraus » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:27 am

Dear Bernd,

Thank you for your kind explanation! Sometimes the balance between computing costs and flexiblity is really a dilemma. By the way, I'm wondering is there any way to restart the simulation from the intermediate steps rather than the latest one?

Best

ralph

Post by ralph » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:06 am

The restart file is like a snapshot of the current state of the simulation. There is no history included.
It's not possible to do a restart from an intermediate time step with that file.

Of course, it is possible to copy the restart file after each output with an external script (or manually). Given the output intervall in real time is large enough. But that's just a workaround.

Ralph

maraus

Post by maraus » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:37 pm

Understood~thanks a lot!