Changing orientation files to inverse pole figures

aspects of evaluating simulation results and their graphic presentation using either DisplayMICRESS or other software tools. Features and possibilities of DisplayMICRESS
Moritz
anti_bot: 333

Changing orientation files to inverse pole figures

Post by Moritz » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:42 pm

Hello everyone!

I would like to compare simulation results from MICRESS to experimental results, specifically the grain orientation.

Usually, this is presented with inverse pole figures based on EBSD measurements.

As I theoretically have all the necessary information, there should be a possible way to create an illustration with inverse pole figures based on the MICRESS output. Does anybody have experience with this or maybe knows a way how to do it?

A first good step would be a way to extract the data, which is contained in the .vtk files of the orientation results. Then I could maybe work with a MatLab script, to produce a pole figure illustration.

I am happy about every suggestion.

Best regards

Moritz

janin

Re: Changing orientation files to inverse pole figures

Post by janin » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:48 pm

Hi Moritz,
I guess the most convenient way would be to combine the output files *.korn and *TabO.
1.) Extract the grain id for each cell within the domain from file.korn.
2.) Get the associated orientation from TabO.
3.) Create the pole figure with MatLab or the same tool you use for experimental data.

TabO contains a list of the all grain orientations for each time step. The presentation of the orientation output (e.g. Euler angles, axis and angles, etc.) can be selected in the dri-file.

I haven't tried it on my own, so I am looking forward for feedback. It would be great if someone could provide a script.

Best regards,
Janin

Moritz

Post by Moritz » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:51 pm

Hi Janin,

thank you so much for your answer! The steps sound relatively straigthforward. I was not aware that there is a file, which contains the grain id for each cell in the domain. This is very interesting.

The TabO output I understand. But the korn.mcr puzzles me: Can you please tell me, how I can open this kind of file, to access the information about the grid cells and their link to a specific grain?

I think the rest should then be doable.

Best regards

Moritz

ralph

Post by ralph » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:31 pm

Hi Moritz,

you can convert the MICRESS native format with DP_MICRESS to VTK or ASCII (File->Export as dataset).
Data order is ordered by loops over z, y, x. Z is the outer loop.

Best,
Ralph

Moritz

Post by Moritz » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:10 pm

Hi Ralph,

ah now I remember. MICRESS has so many functions, sometimes it is hard to keep track of them.

I am going to further work on the problem and I am going to comment here, when I got a solution.

Best regards

Moritz