Interfacing Micress with Matlab

aspects of evaluating simulation results and their graphic presentation using either DisplayMICRESS or other software tools. Features and possibilities of DisplayMICRESS
RAGHAV

Interfacing Micress with Matlab

Post by RAGHAV » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:46 pm

Hello Mr. Bernd,

Could you help me with interfacing Micress with Matlab?

Best regards,
Raghav

Bernd

Re: Interfacing Micress with Matlab

Post by Bernd » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi Raghav,

I'm sorry, but I have never done something like that!
Which type of data do you want to pass between MICRESS and Matlab?

Bernd

RAGHAV

Post by RAGHAV » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:06 pm

Hello again,

Actually i want to create a macroodel for the microstructure (Stabilor G). This means simulation using different cooling curves with MICRESS, extracting ''interesting'' parameters automatically (grain size, anisotropy) which will require image processing toolbox in matlab and creating a model (for example with neural networks) which reproduces those parameters when the cooling curve is given.

Best Regards,
Raghav

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Dear Raghav,

Principially, this should be possible with Matlab, because only the temperature curve input has to be modified, which can be read from an ASCII file, and the results have to be taken from the .TabK or .TabGD file which are also ASCII files. But, as I already said, I personally have no experience with Matlab. Maybe, anybody who has experiences is out there in the forum...

Bernd

RAGHAV

Post by RAGHAV » Tue May 04, 2010 6:06 pm

Hello Everybody

In relation to the one of the posts above could you tell me what are possible microstructure parameters apart from Avg. grain radius and Anisotropy (I hope i'm right) that could be extracted from MICRESS simulations?

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Wed May 05, 2010 2:05 pm

Hello Raghav,

you could add:

- the relation of surface to size or area as a measure of "dendriticity"
- the secondary arm spacing
- a variance on the average size or the grain size distribution function
- a statistical segregation analysis

Bernd

RAGHAV

Post by RAGHAV » Wed May 12, 2010 5:42 pm

thnx Bernd for your suggestions. Could you please elaborate a bit on the first and the last feature a bit, with regards to how their values affect the microstructure.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Fri May 14, 2010 11:05 am

Dear Raghav,

my suggestions were just general ideas. Of course, the important question is what you aim to do with these parameters!

The first suggestion, surface vs. area/volume, is a measure how strong branching of the dendrite arms occurs. This can be important for melt feeding during casting (porosity formation) and for the mechanical properties of the semi-solid mush (e.g. for thixoforming etc.).
A segregation analysis would be interesting for comparison to experiments: It is common practice to perform e.g. EDX composition measurements on many points across the microstructure. The compoosition values are represented graphically vs. an increasing or decreasing principle component to reveal the solidification path.

Bernd