DP _Micress doesn't show a legend

aspects of evaluating simulation results and their graphic presentation using either DisplayMICRESS or other software tools. Features and possibilities of DisplayMICRESS
Hans_IKV
anti_bot: 333

DP _Micress doesn't show a legend

Post by Hans_IKV » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi,

when I open an outputfile with Display Micress, the programm doesn't show any numbers or letters. Only the coloured resultfield and the couloured legend bar is shown.
I already reinstalled the program, but it didn't help.
I don't have this problem on my notebook, only on the pc.
Does anybody know a reason for this?

Thanks,

Hans

Bernd

Re: DP _Micress doesn't show a legend

Post by Bernd » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Dear Hans,

the most simple reason for such a behaviour could be that the image size/format of the MICRESS result file does not fit well into the default size of the graphical window. Just dragging the window to a different size or shape would help. Depending on the operating system and installation, the output will be resized automatically, or you may have to do it yourself (View/resize window).

If this is not the case, it seems to be more complicated. You say, you get a colour scale, but without numbers. If this is persistently the case, even for different examples and window sizes, then it smells like a problems with the fonts - I have never seen that!

Please tell me if you got any further!

Bernd

Hans_IKV

Post by Hans_IKV » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:30 pm

Dear Bernd,

unfortunately dragging the window doesn't solve the problem. I already checked the font colour to see if it's not black on black.
I also tried different result files, but always had the same problem.
The only things are shown in the window are the result field and the colour scale. Nothing else.

Hans

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:37 pm

Apart from not showing any text, is DP_MICRESS working correctly, can you go e.g. through the output time steps?

Do you have different operating systems on your PC and on your Notebook?

Do you get any helpful messages in the Display_MICRESS text window?

Bernd

Hans_IKV

Post by Hans_IKV » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:27 pm

The Display_MICRESS text window shows the following message:

%PGPLOT, Unabel to read font file:grfont.dat
%PGPLOT, Use environment variable PGPLOT_FONT to specify the location of the PGPLOT grfont.dat file.

That seems to be the reason. But I do not know, why DP_MICRESS cannot find the grfont.dat file. As I have said, I installed it the same way as I did on my notebook. Both, notebook and PC, are working with Windows XP.

Hans

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:31 pm

I remember that we had this problem in an older version of DP_MICRESS, it took too long to inflate the fonts while launching the program - can you please check whether you have installed the most recent version (5.900)? You can do this in the Windows Explorer if you right-click on the file and check the file properties!

If your version is correct, maybe, we should have a personal look on the problem, as you are not far away from us...

Bernd

Hans_IKV

Post by Hans_IKV » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:06 pm

My version is 5.408. I just got it from Georg Schmitz via the link "ftp://micress@ftp.access.rwth-aachen.de"/distribution a few days ago. There was no newer version available.

Your offer to come around would be great, because meanwhile I have a second problem:
I use a linux pc for the simulation and want to work with the result files on windows. But linux names the files completely different. So I have problems to open the files with DP_MICRESS.