plot concentration and phase boundary together

aspects of evaluating simulation results and their graphic presentation using either DisplayMICRESS or other software tools. Features and possibilities of DisplayMICRESS
ning

plot concentration and phase boundary together

Post by ning » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi, there:
Is it possible to draw phase boundaries on top of concentration using Display Micress? Thanks.

Bernd

Re: plot concentration and phase boundary together

Post by Bernd » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi ning,

The most simple way would be to draw isolines at a given composition which corresponds (approximately) to the value in the middle of the phase boundary. This works only sufficiently well if the difference between the concentrations of the present phases is much bigger than the variance inside each phase. For doing so, select "Isolines" and "Add an isoline" in DP_MICRESS (shortcut i+a). With "Bicolour isolines" you can toggle between black, white and bicolour lines.

A completely different approach is to use the Display_MICRESS main menu and the Operations on MICRESS result files (OP.) in order to create a new result file by combining various MICRESS outputs. You can e.g. use the fact that phase and grain boundaries are marked as -1 in the .phas output and combine this information with a concentration output:

1.) Select the inputs .phas and .conc1 in the Op. menu (.phas as the first and .conc1 as the second)

2.) Select an output name which is not yet existing

3.) Specify an operation in Perl format like:

if ( $2 == -1) {
} else {
$1
}

4.) Press "Process"

The new result will be like the original concentration output but with the value 0 along all grain and phase boundaries.
By conditional combination of different MICRESS outputs you principially can create what ever you need!
If you want only the phase boundaries to be marked, you can e.g. use the phase fraction outputs.

Bernd

ning

Post by ning » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi, Bernd:
The second approach rocks!
Thanks.

Philippe
anti_bot: 333

Post by Philippe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi!

I just chanced across this post, hence the "somewhat delayed" answer...
Actually I personally think that the fastest way to do it is still:
- display concentration and phase in that order (as in "DP_MICRESS -m2 -z Delta_Gamma.conc2 Delta_Gamma.phas &")
- add an isoline for the "phas" output ("i+a", ...)
- switch to display of "contour" (i.e.: isoline only) for the "phas" output ("i+c")
- switch to one panel only ("v+p"): this will overlay your concentration output with the "phas" one, which happens to be the isoline only
That was the way to do it before the operation on outputs was implemented...

Cheers!

Philippe