The output in CAD form

aspects of evaluating simulation results and their graphic presentation using either DisplayMICRESS or other software tools. Features and possibilities of DisplayMICRESS
tam
anti_bot: 333

The output in CAD form

Post by tam » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:47 am

Hi
Is it Possible to convert MICRESS results to CAD format such as “.DWF” “.DXF” extension?
Because we are supposed to analyze the results using FEM software such as ABAQUS.

tam

Bernd

Re: The output in CAD form

Post by Bernd » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi tam,

welcome to the MICRESS forum!

There are many different file formats, and our general strategy is to use vtk format as a standard for conversion to other formats.
So, the first step is to make a vtk. You can either directly write the MICRESS files in vtk format, or (what I would recommend) convert the generic MICRESS output format to vtk. This can be done using the DP_MICRESS GUI and the menu "Transfer". The DP_MICRESS GUI will open when typing "DP_MICRESS -g" in Linux or when double-clicking the .geoF.mcr file of the MICRESS results in Windows.
I am not expert for tools which make the further conversion from vtk to the required CAD format, but I am sure it should not be so difficult to find one...

Please share your experiences in this forum!

Bernd

gottfried

Post by gottfried » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi tam,

as explained by Bernd, the standard conversion to other programs at the meso- or macroscale is the vtk format. AutoCAD formats like DWF or DXF are not yet supported. But, in order to perform simulations in order to derive, for example, effective flow curves from MICRESS results, the direct generation of an unstructured mesh for ABAQUS is realized. An interface program, named Mesh2ABAQUS allows either to transfer only the geometry of the simulated microstructure via the classical inp file format or it allows to specify the mesh plus the the periodic boundary conditions and the different load cases in order to perform directly with Abaqus the virtual uniaxial tests on simulated MICRESS microstructures. This new tool will be distributed together with an other new homogenization tool, named HOMAT, for the evaluation of effective material properties during summer 2013.

best regards

Gottfried

tam

Post by tam » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:29 am

Hi Bernd

Thanks for your reply
I succeeded in converting to a vtk file from a mcr file.
As a next step, I'm looking for a way to convert the CAD format.
If I found the good way I'll post here again.

Hi gottfried

Thank you for the useful information.
Can the tool be used in Japan before the year end?
I would be very interested in it and would like to use it very much.

best regards

tam

gottfried

Post by gottfried » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Dear Tam,

At the moment, I test the new developed tools HOMAT and Mesh2ABAQUS on a austenite ferrite phase transformation of a low carbon steel alloy. I will send you an email when these both tools, able to predict effective mechanical properties of simulated microstructures, are available. Complete documentation has to be done in the next weeks. Of course, you can be one of the first users of these homogenization tools.

best regards

Gottfried

deepumaj1

Post by deepumaj1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:02 am

Hi,
Has the HOMAT and MESH2ABAQUS been included in MICRESS now?

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi deepumaj1,

HOMAT and MESH2ABAQUS are separate tools which are not planned to be included into the MICRESS software. They will be available soon, there will be an announcement in this forum.

Bernd