.korn file

aspects of evaluating simulation results and their graphic presentation using either DisplayMICRESS or other software tools. Features and possibilities of DisplayMICRESS
RAGHAV

.korn file

Post by RAGHAV » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:10 am

Hello

What does the different colors of grains in .korn file indicate. Is it concentration of different componets of an alloy?
or What does the colour palet in the .korn file represent?

Regards,
Raghav

Bernd

Re: .korn file

Post by Bernd » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:22 pm

Dear Raghav,

"korn" is german and means "grain". The .korn file is a graphical output containing the numbers which are assigned to grains in a consecutive manner when they are defined in the initial grain structure or nucleated during runtime. The grain number is not a physical property, but allows for the identification of grains in the MICRESS results.
In contrary to the .phas output, the .grain files do not show interface regions: If more grains are present in one cell, the one with the highest fraction is chosen.

Regards
Bernd

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:22 pm

Hello,

I got the following message from Raghav:
Hello Dear Mr. Bernd,

I tried to upload the attatchment in Micress forum but i wasn't successful. But i have the questions for alloy Stabilor G with ref. to the role of kin. coeff. in the simulation results that i have in the file.

Schönes Wochenende
Raghav

[img]
Raghav.png
Raghav.png (322.4 KiB) Viewed 16649 times
[/img]

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:42 pm

Dear Raghav,

I tried to upload your images, and for me it worked! I hope tis ok for you that I put your question to the forum, if not I take it out again!

I try to undestand what you did there - I guess it is fcc growing into the melt (and not bcc) inside a temperature gradient. You are changing two parameters at once!

If you would just increase the surface energy, one would expect the side branches to get coarser. This should happen if the numerical parameters are not extremely bad.

If you would just increase the interface mobility, the effect depends on the way how you optimized the numerical parameters: If you would have a high resolution (which you do not have!) and diffusion-limited growth, then nothing should change. But if growth is mobility-limited, you would speed up growth by increasing the mobility. If you have not a sufficiently high resolution, a mobility increase will always speed up growth! This is the reason why in the case of low resolution the mobility has always to be calibrated (http://board.micress.de/viewtopic.php?f ... f64923#p49) ! But then, also the morphology may change with the mobility.

Maybe, I did not completely get your point! :roll:

Bernd

RAGHAV

Post by RAGHAV » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:19 pm

Thank you Mr. Bernd. I think i got my answers. Well, you are right the phase growing is fcc_a1 and bcc_a2 has no role to play here. Phase 0 is Liquid and 1 is fcc_a1. It is no problem having the file on the forum.