Error during simulation

Discussion of numerical issues which are not directly linked to specific applications
betleenkim
anti_bot: 333

Error during simulation

Post by betleenkim » Thu May 30, 2013 3:35 am

Dear Bernd

I think only i have a lot of errors during simulation :(
I have two types of driving files which different in cell dimension.
One has 1um as its cell dimension and the other has 0.5um.

I have no problem with the driving file having 1um cell dimension. However, i face an error when i use the driving file having 0.5um as its cell dimension.
You can see the error message below.
2013-05-30_10_22_59.PNG
2013-05-30_10_22_59.PNG (24.4 KiB) Viewed 7534 times
I am looking forward to your reply.
Thank you

Best regard

Bernd

Re: Error during simulation

Post by Bernd » Thu May 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi betleenkim,

don't worry, I think it it quite normal to get errors while setting up a MICRESS simulation... :D

But in serious: from the output which you post I can see that you are using the "restart" option. This option has been made for continuing a simulation which has been stopped for whichever reason. It is also allowed to make minor modifications like changing the interface mobility. But if you make more drastic changes, MICRESS may either complain during reading of the restart file, or unforeseen thing may happen!
Therefore, my first question is whether you made the restart with any changes in the driving file, and which ones you made. Maybe, you are doing something which is not allowed! I hope you did not use the same restart file for both grid resolutions...
In principle, MICRESS should never crash in this way! It could be either that you found a bug, or that you did something wrong which is not caught properly in the code.
If the problem is not caused by such improper changes to the driving file when restarting, you should show us the complete driving file, or send it to me (together with all other input files) so that I can check myself on Monday.

Bernd

betleenkim

Post by betleenkim » Fri May 31, 2013 6:21 am

Dear Bernd

Thank you for your reply.

I think that the problem is not caused by "restart" the simulation since i also face same error when i do "new" simulation like below.
Error message.PNG
Error message.PNG (28.1 KiB) Viewed 7526 times
I will send you the simulation files via an e-mail.

Thank you again

Best regard

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Fri May 31, 2013 11:12 am

Oh, I see!

This time it was crashing inside the TQ library, that is quite strange...

Please send me also the .log and the .GES5 file!

Unfortunately, my notebook crashed, and I can't view your email before Monday :x

Bernd

betleenkim

Post by betleenkim » Fri May 31, 2013 3:52 pm

Dear Bernd

Thank you for your answer.

I sent you driving file, mobility file and GES5 file. But I am afraid that i do not have corresponding log file showing same error message i reported since i overwrote it;;

But the interesting thing i realized is that the error occurs only 64bit computer. Since the OS is 64bit version,I installed MICRESS and TC3.0 64bit versions in the new computer for MICRESS simulation. Since i face such errors contiuously, i used my computer (32bit window, MICRESS and TC3.0) to simulate the MICRESS with same driving file. Then, i found that there is no such an error. Do you think this cause this kind of problem?

Best regard

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Fri May 31, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi betleenkim,

I don't know this 64bit problem explicitly, by maybe Ralph knows...

But be careful with TC3.0! As the Fortran interface is still not released, the TQ object which comes with MICRESS is version 7 which corresponds to Thermo-Calc version S! At least if mobility data are used, there is an incompatibility, and .GES5 files must be created using the old version S of Thermo-Calc!

Bernd

betleenkim

Post by betleenkim » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Dear Bernd

Hi!!
Did you check the files that i sent via e-mail?
As you posted, i recognize incompatibility of TC3.0 with MICRESS.
So, i created the GES5 file using TCCS version.
However, the problem continuously occurs. I am really depressed by this problem since i even cannot restart the simulation when such an error occurs.

Best regard

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Dear betleenkim,

I got your input files, thank you! We will try to reproduce the problems and solve them. Can you confirm that you got all problems only with the 64bit version of MICRESS (and a 64bit .GES5 file), and never with 32 bit MICRESS (and a 32bit .GES5 file)? And did you always use Windows as OS?

Bernd

betleenkim

Post by betleenkim » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Dear Bernd

Thank you for your reply.

First of all, you are right. I am using window 7 64bit. And I am only using window OS.
In addition, as I mentioned, I installed MICRESS 64bit version.

Due to the problem, I also contacted to Thermo_calc. developer. And they answered that they found difference between GES5 files that are created by Thermocalc TCCS and TC3.0 version. They commented that i should use the GES5 file which is created by TCCS version since Thermo_calc. TCCS version is compatible with MICRESS. NOT TC3.0 version. And the problem has been gone once i created GES5 file with TCCS under 32bit window (I reported this problem in previous post).

However, here is a strange point. I cannot choose neither of 32bit nor 64bit when i installed Thermo_calc. TCCS version. I can only select the version of Thermo_calc when i install TC3.0 version. I think you can check about this at your site. But there is no problem at all in 32bit window. However, the problem occurs continously in 64bit window.

Anyway, have you found any problem with 64bit system so far? In addition, do you think this problem occurs due to the latest version of Thermo_calc (TC3.0)? And also, I will try to install window XP 64bit version instead of window 7. Do you think it is helpful?

Best regard

Seawoong Lee

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:29 pm

Dear Seawoong,

we now were able to reproduce the error messages which you reported! We furthermore remembered that we observed a similar platform-specific problem with 64bit under Windows which came from the TQ library. The solution was to use a different set of compiler options for linking. I sent you a MICRESS executable (beta version 6.006) which was compiled in this way by mail!

Please check whether this resolves your problems with the 64bit MICRESS version!

Apart from that, you should also be able to run the 32bit version of MICRESS on the 64bit Computer, and also to install a 32bit version of Thermo-Calc there! Although the standard installation does not allow that, the Thermo-Calc staff should be able to provide you with the corresponding versions!

I would not waste too much time with installing 64bit Windows XP - MICRESS 64 should and will run on Windows 7!

Best wishes
Bernd