Phase field modeling of electrode microstructure

Discussion about general concepts or further fields of application
deepumaj1
anti_bot: 333

Phase field modeling of electrode microstructure

Post by deepumaj1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:29 am

Hi.
I'm new to micress. I was wondering if Micress is able to do phase field modeling of three phase electrode microstructure(electrode- phase, electrolyte phase and the pore-phase) in Solid oxide fuel cells. I want to simulate the phase coarsening and grain growth in this system. I couldn't find any straight forward example files for this. Is Micress capable of doing this kind of a simulation? Is there any example files that could be provided?
(I'm using my friend's account to post this. I was flagged as a spammer while trying to create a new account :roll: )

Thanks,
Vishal

admin
Site Admin

Re: Phase field modeling of electrode microstructure

Post by admin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:56 am

Dear Vishal,

I cannot find anything related to your attempts to register in the MICRESS forum. Can you please retry and tell me at which point you cannot proceed?

Your admin

Bernd

Re: Phase field modeling of electrode microstructure

Post by Bernd » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:20 pm

Dear Vishal,

Welcome to the MICRESS forum. Please retry to register so that you can use your own account for further discussions.

I shifted your post to the new forum "General Concepts/Other Applications) which has been created some weeks ago and where it fits better. Here, I would like to have discussions about the general capabilities and limitations of MICRESS and which are the fields where it could be successfully applied in future.

In principle, MICRESS can be applied to different types of materials like alloys, ceramics and electrolytes. But, apart from the question where to get thermodynamic information from, there is a strong limitation in the fields of electrochemistry when electric fields are involved. This is always the case in electrochemical reactions like electrolysis or electrode reactions in a fuel cell, but can also be important for simple diffusion processes in an electrolyte: if charges species are subject to a diffusion process, this results in an electrical potential difference (diffusion potential). But, it always depends on the specific case whether it is possible or not to work around this limitation...

A second limitation (which is linked to the first one) is that MICRESS does not handle charge neutrality. Thus, only databases can be used which implicitly assure neutrality like it is the case e.g. in the "IONIC_LIQUID" phase model.

Which are the materials and relevant processes in your case?

Bernd