problems with multiphase solidification of an aluminum bronz

dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
NicoSim
anti_bot: 333

Re: problems with multiphase solidification of an aluminum bronz

Post by NicoSim » Wed May 18, 2011 7:34 pm

Dear Bernd,

unfortunately I do not have the possibility to perform DSC experiments.

I will go with further simulations in two directions. First I accept the thermodynamical data and try continue to simulate the CuAl9Ni5Fe5. Second I want change the composition of aluminum and draw a new phase diagram.

Nico

NicoSim
anti_bot: 333

Post by NicoSim » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Dear Bernd,

i worked on several simulations for the problem last time. But regrettably I did not get results with a complete solid structure. I tried to simulate the solidification at 10 and 11wt% of aluminum. At Al10 I got my alpha-phase later than at Al9. This fact was expected. The problem is that I should get a composition of two solidified phases at any time. The same problem obtains for Al11. But for this composition I have only one phase (the beta-phase) which should solidify completely.

What can be the problem?

Best regards,
Nico

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:23 pm

Dear Nico,

for me it is not so clear what to expect during solidification. You have to take into account that solidification microstructures are not at equilibrium, and, therefore, the solidification path does not correspond to what you see in the phase diagram!
What do you mean with that you did not get results with a complete solid structure? You mean that it did not solidify completely at the equilibrium solidus temperature, or even not at much lower temperatures? The reason could be that you need to include further phases which are metastable, but necessary for complete solidification, like posssibly kappa.

A good hint to see what to expect during solidification is to perform a Scheil simulation, e.g. using Thermo-Calc. Did you try that? Even if it is only an approximation, it will tell you which phases to expect at around which temperatures.

Bernd