About seed_density model

dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
Feng
anti_bot: 333

About seed_density model

Post by Feng » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:24 am

Hello, I have a question on the setting of the seed-density model. In the example, there is only random distribution for seed density, so, I wonder how to set a seed in a uniform distribution of the seed density? thanks a lot.

Bernd

Re: About seed_density model

Post by Bernd » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi Feng,

Welcome to the MICRESS Forum!

To be honest, I don't really understand your question! The idea of the seed density model is to create a (spatially) random distribution of potential seeds at the beginning of the simulation which can be activated during run-time. This is done for each class of radii thus creating a (stepwise defined) seed density function.
What do you mean with "uniform" distribution?

Best regards

Bernd

Feng

Post by Feng » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Hello, Bernd,
I just want to set up assumption that the particles nucleated at determined position not random distribution in the bulk, is it possible for MICRESS? thanks.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi Feng,

This is also possible in MICRESS, as "deterministic" nucleation (at critical undercooling or driving force), but not with the seed-density model!
Generally, one can define different types of locations for nucleation, e.g. bulk, interfaces (which can be further specified in manyfold ways), triple junctions and regions. The seed-density model (which is specifically for heterogeneous nucleation) can only be used (and makes only sense) with "bulk" and "region".
To specify a fix location, one can use "region" with an extend of only one numerical grid cell.

Bernd

Feng

Post by Feng » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:54 pm

OK, thanks for your reply. Can I set up numbers of region in the bulk, or only one region?

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:26 pm

Dear Feng,

Seeding is organized in different seed types. For each seed type, you define the location where seeding is checked, and all the other parameters like phase number, reference phase, substrate phase, critical undercooling, crystallographic orientation, shield parameter etc.
Thus, if you need more than one region, you define one seed type for each. The size of the region is defined by the min. and max. values of the x,y,z coordinates.

Feng

Post by Feng » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:08 am

Thanks Bernd, would you please give me an example for setting up different regions? my Micress version is 6.1, thanks a lot.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:42 pm

There is nothing special about "region": It behaves like "bulk", just, that you have to specify the minimum and maximum coordinates for the region.
The use of different seed types you can see in the standard example "Gamma_Alpha_dri". You could just take seed type No 3, replace "bulk" with "region" and add 4 lines with the minimum and maximum x and z coordinates. Then nucleation in this seed type is considered only in the specified region instead of the whole simulation domain. You can easily add others for other regions (do not forget to adjust the number of seed types at the beginning of the "Data for further nucleation" section).