reg temp coupling in micress

dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
swetha
anti_bot: 333

reg temp coupling in micress

Post by swetha » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Dear Bernd,

Thanks for your reply.For the ternary alloy I was initially simulating was done successfully for slm conditions for small time inputs.

Q1.)I want to know what temperature coupling specified in flags section can do :?: what is gs and rgbs coupling mentioned in the Temperature.dri input file?

Q2.)Will it(temp coupling) be useful for solidification of ternary alloy which has at the bottom of the domain, initial microstructure(cellular structure obtained by slm conditions for a small region)that is specified and then its solidified from thereon with undercooled liquid in front of interface?

Regards,
swetha.

Bernd

Re: reg temp coupling in micress

Post by Bernd » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:27 pm

Dear Swetha,

I am not so much expert in the different solvers used in temperature coupling, but "gs" means Gauss Seidel, and "rbgs" Red Black Gauss Seidel...

If you chose temperature coupling in MICRESS it means that you cannot couple to concentration fields at the same time. This is because the length scales of solute and temperature diffusion differ several orders of magnitude, at least in metallic systems. Thus, this module cannot be used for alloys where solute partitioning and diffusion is responsible for microstructure formation.

If you think that the approximation of the temperature field by a (time dependent) gradient and cooling rate is too bad, I would go for coupling to a 1d external temperature field ("1d_temp"). Here, a one-dimensional temperature field at a bigger scale is used to simulate the time-dependent T-profile ahead the solidification front, i.e. for definition of an improved temperature boundary condition. You can check out the MICRESS example AlCu_Temp1d_dri, although this is for equiaxed solidification. I think, this approach could be helpful in case of transient temperature fields, maybe in your case with use of cylinder coordinates ("temp_1d_cylinder").

Bernd