Data for further nucleation

dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
CharMIC
anti_bot: 333

Re: Data for further nucleation

Post by CharMIC » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:41 pm

thanks Bernd. So is this the correct way of defining?
Attachments
reference phase.PNG
reference phase.PNG (40.31 KiB) Viewed 226392 times

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:01 pm

Yes, I would say so. Grain 0 is redefined to be fcc, and using "parent_relation" you can set the orientation to the same value of the existing fcc grain.

CharMIC

Post by CharMIC » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:30 am

Hi Bernd,

It did not seems to work as expected. The switched grains still have the orientation of the liquid phase. then I tried changing the reference phase to solid phase (1) and substrate phase to liquid (0). There also switched grains have orientation of liquid phase.

in both cases I used "parent_relation" option and defined 0 degrees for minimal and maximal values of rotation angle.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Hi Chamara,

Oh, I see...

In MICRESS, phase 0, which typically was associated with grain 0, has special properties: It is present in the background per default and cannot be anisotropic. This is the reason why grain 0 is not part of the output in .TabO, and why its orientation is put to 90° in the .orie output. So, even it grain 0 has the same orientation as your fcc grain, you currently won't see it :? .

Since the introduction of the "add_to_grain" functionality things have changed in the sense that grain 0 now can be changed to have another phase than 0, and thus also orientations. However, obviously we still did not correct all the places in the code which assumed that grain 0 must be of phase 0...

If you want you can send me your case per e-mail, and I will have a look whether it is only the output of orientation which does not work, or whether there are other parts in the code which prevent grain 0 from assuming the correct orientation.

However, I still do not understand why you need grain 0 to assume the same orientation as the fcc - do you want to use misorientation for giving corresponding properties to the 1/1-interface?

Bernd

CharMIC

Post by CharMIC » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Hi Bernd,

I will send the files to you. In my simulation I have two gamma seed types with two orientation. during the solidification it will create a grain boundary. Once after switching my intention is only to have one grain boundary. So I want to make remaining liquid orientations to be same orientation as the relevant nucleating grain interface.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi Chamara,

But you know that there will be two grain boundaries at least if you have 3 grains...

Bernd

CharMIC

Post by CharMIC » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:30 pm

But since the boundary create between the solid phase and "switched-solid" phase will be a boundary with 0 degree misorientation. right?

So there will only be one grain boundary with misorienation. ?

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:59 pm

Exactly

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi Chamara,

I have checked the example which you have sent me by e-mail, and it is as I feared: There are more issues! That means that the misorientation model will not change to a low-angle grain boundary with this method, or - even worse - will not lead to any defined misorientation state. This is definitively an error, which needs to be fixed soon...

Bernd

CharMIC

Post by CharMIC » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:19 am

Ahh.. Thats a problem for me then. :(

Will it take few months to fix it?