Error: Solidification in Martensitic tool steel during Selective Laser Melting (SLM) process

dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
CharMIC
anti_bot: 333

Re: Error: Solidification in Martensitic tool steel during Selective Laser Melting (SLM) process

Post by CharMIC » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:07 am

Thanks Bernd.

For the phase 2, during nucleation, I get initial undercooling around 18K. I guess this is too high. ?

Problem here is that the gird resolution is 2.5nm and It gives high undercooling value. Alternative would be to use a smaller interfacial energy value. but then I have to artificially lower it.

Bernd

Re: Error: Solidification in Martensitic tool steel during Selective Laser Melting (SLM) process

Post by Bernd » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi Chamara,

You can overcome the undercooling restriction of the fine grid by using analytical curvature model and set the critical radius bigger than Δx. Or did you do that already?
Further, you could try to give the seeds an "advantage" by using an initial radius 0<r<Δx, which is possible because the γ'-phase has a not so much different composition than the melt. Or you could try nucleating at the outer side of the interface by using the fraction range for the reference phase...

Bernd