Dendrite growth of Ti-6Al-4V Alloy

dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
dingling312
anti_bot: 333

Dendrite growth of Ti-6Al-4V Alloy

Post by dingling312 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 am

Hello,
I want to set up a simulation to predict the solidification of ti-6al-4v,and I get the GES5 file by thermo-calc。
When I run the program it just warning “Demixing in interface liquid\bcc-a2 component v” 。Of course ,I can't get the right dendrite。
tialv_in.txt
(16.42 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
(the result)
tialv_in.txt
(16.42 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
(the input file)
So I want to know where the most possible problem is.

Ling
Attachments
tialv_frac_mcr.png
tialv_frac_mcr.png (19.17 KiB) Viewed 1904 times

Bernd

Re: Dendrite growth of Ti-6Al-4V Alloy

Post by Bernd » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Dear Ling,

Welcome to the MICRESS forum!

There are no obvious errors in your input file, there are just 3 things I want to mention:

1.) The warning “Demixing in interface liquid\bcc-a2 component v” is probably due to the multi-binary extrapolation which MICRESS uses by default. This type of extrapolation in many cases is the most effective available, but in high-alloyed multicomponent systems it often leads to the problem of divergence ("demixing"). The best solution is this case is to switch to diagonal extrapolation using the keyword "diagonal" in the "stoichiometric phases" section (see also here).

2.) You use "1d_far_field" (1d-concentration field as top boundary condition) with 0 cells. I don't see any reason to do so, I would just use "no_1d_far_field" instead.

3.) In case your MICRESS version is 6.3 or newer, I would encourage you to use "mob_corr" which avoids calibration of the interface mobility (see e.g. here).

Best wishes
Bernd