About the output of 3D and 2D

dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
Shenyz
anti_bot: 333

About the output of 3D and 2D

Post by Shenyz » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Hi,
Now I'm simulating the three-dimensional silidification process of steel via MICRESS. However, when I use the 'vtk' option, I can only get the 3d output which should be opened using specialized software, and I cannot observe the intermediate output. If I using the 2d option, I can observe the output of every step but I cannot get a completely 3d result. I am wondering how to get a better output?
Kind regard,
Shenyz

Bernd

Re: About the output of 3D and 2D

Post by Bernd » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:40 pm

Dear Shenyz,

If you use the 'vtk'-option, you get one output file per time step which contains all graphical MICRESS results, while otherwise (which is the normal case) you get one output for each graphical result which contains all time steps. If you want to have both formats, you can always get the other one by conversion using DP_MICRESS (which can work with both formats). Thus, it is just a matter of personal preference (and how big individual files would get). I personally prefer to write the native MICRESS output format and use DP_MICRESS to convert to vtk only in case of 3D for viewing with Paraview.

Bernd

ralph
anti_bot: 333

Re: About the output of 3D and 2D

Post by ralph » Mon May 06, 2019 10:10 am

When using vtk output, you should get a series of vtk files, e.g. mysim_1.vtk, mysim_2.vtk, ...
One file for each time step with all field results in it.

This file series can be opened in Paraview at once. Choose the entry with the dots, e.g. mysim...

DP_MICRESS will open, i.e. parse the whole series, also at once automatically if you open an arbitrary file from the series.
However, as it is a 2D viewer, it can only show 2D slices of the results.

Best,
Ralph