solidification

dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
shaojielv
anti_bot: 333

solidification

Post by shaojielv » Fri May 07, 2021 3:47 pm

Hi Brend,
This is the dendrite growth in a solidification process that I made, but why is there no secondary diameter? And why does the concentration of CONC1 change as a whole during its evolution? Hope to get your answer.
Wish you a happy life, smooth work.
Lv Shaojie
Attachments
dendrite_img.png
dendrite_img.png (432.62 KiB) Viewed 847 times
dendrite.txt
(14.56 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

Bernd

Re: solidification

Post by Bernd » Sat May 08, 2021 10:56 pm

Dear Lv Shaojie,

I think the main problem is the high initial undercooling which is not overcome during the simulated transient. This leads to a very fine microstructure which is not typical for the specified conditiions, and furthermore for non-stationary conditions with changing compositions.

For simulation of this initial transient (quenching), you would need a much finer grid resolution, if this is really what you intend. In any case, using 4 cells of interface thickness is more than necessary and further reduces effective resolution. I would recommend a value just above 2 x SQRT(2), i.e. 2.85, but not more than 3.

Furthermore, I found the inconsistency of using different boundary conditions on the left and right side (s and i for east and west). I assume that this is not intended, and would recommend using periodic boundary conditions ("p") instead.

Bernd