solidification of Al-alloy (seed_density)

dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
Xianyi Kuang
anti_bot: 333

solidification of Al-alloy (seed_density)

Post by Xianyi Kuang » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:59 am

Dear Bernd,

Best wishes for you.

I have used MICRESS to study the structure and composition distribution of isothermally solidified single-grain and multi-grain aluminum alloys. But when I studied the non-isothermal polycrystalline grains, I encountered difficulties: Under the condition of no latent heat, the density of the grains meets my requirements (see Figure 1), but under the condition of latent heat, no matter how I adjust the crystal nucleus density as well as the nucleation shielding time, the growth of crystal grains is only concentrated in the upper left corner (see Figure 2). So I hope to have your guidance.

Bless you again.

Xianyi Kuang
Attachments
lat_heat.txt
(2.85 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
no_lat_heat.txt
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
2.png
2.png (88.36 KiB) Viewed 960 times
1.png
1.png (217.33 KiB) Viewed 960 times

Bernd

Re: solidification of Al-alloy (seed_density)

Post by Bernd » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:12 am

Dear Xianyi Kuang,

Welcome to the MICRESS Forum.

It is quite difficult to read your input files because any comments have been stripped. It would be much better to attach the .in output files because they represent cleaned-up copies of the input file with correct comments, and also gives information about the used MICRESS version. The .log-file is also very helpful for support.

Nevertheless, I could identify the problem: In case of your input file using latent heat, you also used the option "unit_cell_symm" which does not suit to your application and which removes seeds below the diagonal of the simulation domain (by the way, this option is outdated anyway and will be removed in version 7.1).

Best wishes
Bernd

Xianyi Kuang
anti_bot: 333

Re: solidification of Al-alloy (seed_density)

Post by Xianyi Kuang » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:00 am

Dear Bernd:

Thank you for your answers.

I have solved this problem, as you said, the reason for this problem is that the "unit_cell_symm" option is enabled. The command line is specially written by me in order to facilitate the modification of the parameters, I will pay attention to it next time. The software version I currently use is 6.4, and my university has not yet updated the 7.0 version. MICRESS is indeed a good software for studying casting phase field simulation for people like me who have no programming foundation. Thank you.

Best wishs
Xianyi Kuang