solidification (2D_Temp)

dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
chenmm
anti_bot: 333

solidification (2D_Temp)

Post by chenmm » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I want to set a 2D temperature field in my simulation. But, there is no available options in the section of boundary conditions to set a temperature field with varying temperature on both the X-axis and Z-axis. Maybe “profiles_from_file” option just can set a temperature field with the same value on the X-axis.

Are there other ways to define such a temperature field with varying temperature on both the X-axis and Z-axis? Can MICRESS realize this temperature field setting?

Best regards,

Miao

Bernd

Re: solidification (2D_Temp)

Post by Bernd » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:24 pm

Dear Miao,

Welcome to the MICRESS Forum!

No, unfortunately this possibility not yet exists in MICRESS. We are planning to implement that in one or the other form in future, but there is no concrete time plan yet...

Which is the application for which you need such an option?

Bernd

chenmm

Post by chenmm » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:48 am

Dear Bernd,

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm planning to set up such a temperature field for LPBF process.

Best regards,

Miao

chenmm

Post by chenmm » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:47 am

Dear Bernd,

Do you think this temperature field can be set in "openphase"?

Miao

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:59 am

Dear Miao,

No idea about OpenPhase...

But why don't you just align the MICRESS domain in gradient direction? The lateral components of the temperature field will then be probably quite small and can be neglected.
Anyway I think that the major drawback of such an approach of coupling microstructure simulation to externally modeled temperature fields is not the one-dimensional restriction but rather that latent heat is not consistently taken into account.

Bernd

chenmm

Post by chenmm » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:30 am

Dear Bernd,

Thanks for your reply.

I have done the calculation with the temperature gradient in MICRESS domain. Yes, the calculation will be more accurate if latent heat is taken into account. Now, we plan to simulate grains growth in a larger domain, and perhaps, the 2D temperature field will be close to the experimental results.

Miao