"Force automatic start values, GZTRBO error" when simulating FCC_L12 composition set

dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
stephane44
anti_bot: 333

"Force automatic start values, GZTRBO error" when simulating FCC_L12 composition set

Post by stephane44 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:52 pm

Hello,

I am trying to simulation the solidification of an Inconel alloy with a TC database, in which there's a composition set for FCC_L12 (gamma / phase 1) and FCC_L12#2 (gamma prime / phase 2).

I am getting an error "Force automatic start values, GZTRBO error". Based on other posts in this forum, I assume that the initial equilibrium cannot be correctly solved for. However I could not find a post with this exact error.
I understand there's an order/disorder transition for this phase model so I tried setting the correct initial temperature for proper initialization and setting ordered/disordered as well as stoichio for gamma prime (assuming it's stoichiometric w.r.t. all components) :

disordered 1 1 2
ordered 2 1 2
2 1-8
no_more_stoichio

Any idea on how to resolve this ?

I can DM you the input file if needed.

Best,

Stéphane

Bernd

Re: Error "Force automatic start values, GZTRBO error" ...

Post by Bernd » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:46 pm

Dear Stéphane,

I also have no specific information about this GZTRBO message, which indicates a non-frequent internal Thermo-Calc error. However, I would first search for fundamental problems like an incompatible .GES5-file or exceeding the workspace size.

Further, there is no reason for using stoichiometric definitions for the γ'-phase. And,you should use diagonal extrapolation (keyword "diagonal" in the numerical parameter section for the concentration solver) if you do not do so already, because superalloys are high-alloyed systems with strong interactions between the dissolved elements.

If you do not get it solved on your, please send your input file including the .GES5-file by simply attaching them to your answer, or send them by PM or e-mail if confidential.

Bernd

stephane44

Re: Error "Force automatic start values, GZTRBO error"...

Post by stephane44 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:15 pm

Thank you Bernd for your response.

I emailed you the input and GES5 files.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:47 pm

Did not yet get your mail with the input files...

stephane44

Re: Error "Force automatic start values, GZTRBO error"

Post by stephane44 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:52 pm

Ok that's weird. I sent you a PM

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:14 pm

Have it now - for whichever reason the email was delayed...

I can reproduce the GZTRBO error and will come back to you as soon as I know the reason.

Bernd

stephane44

Post by stephane44 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:28 am

Perfect thank you Bernd !

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:52 am

Dear Stéphane,

It seems that my first guess could be correct, and that the .GES5-file is incompatible, because I saw it works when used with MICRESS version 7.1 but not with 7.0. Unfortunately, I cannot check the .GES-file data because it is encrypted.
Could it be that you used a Thermo-Calc version for creating the .GES5-file which is too new? MICRESS version 7.0 still uses libraries from Thermo-Calc2019a. Do you have access to an older Thermo-Calc version (or to MICRESS 7.1) and can give it a try?

Bernd

stephane44

Post by stephane44 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:08 pm

Dear Bernd,

Indeed we used TC2022a to generate the GES file. We have TC2020b but the Nickel database is not included (maybe we have to see with TC support to modify the licence file). I generated a new GES file with TC2021b but I still get the GZTRBO error.

Would we have to go all the way back to TC2019a to generate compatible GES files ?

Don't we have access to Micress 7.1 with our current licence plan ? If so, you can give me a download link so that I can install it and give it a try. That'd be the best solution if it does work. We can discuss details by PM or email if needed.

Thanks for your help

Stéphane

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:04 pm

Dear Stéphane,

I talked to my colleague Ralph, and he confirmed that we did not have similar incompatibilities in recent time. Therefore, I would like to find out what really is the problem here, and ask you about more details about how you created the .GES5-file. Did you do it under Windows or Linux? And did you use a Thermo-Calc Makro file (.TCM) which shows how you exactly did it? Perhaps it could also be that you used a mobility database which is incompatible to the thermodynamic database.

Meanwhile, I will find out where exactly the crash happens, and whether this gives us more information about the nature of the problem...

Bernd