Simulation of delta-ferrite/austenite solidifcation sequence under SLM conditions

dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
Bernd

Re: Simulation of delta-ferrite/austenite solidifcation sequence under SLM conditions

Post by Bernd » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:45 am

Dear Ahmet,

Sorry for my late answer! What you are doing is correct. Using paratq was problematic due to the triple junctions: When using paratq this option must be used for all interfaces, otherwise there is a conflict of non-matching phase compositions. The reason is that paratq uses the Thermo-Calc para-equilibrium model, so that fcc and bcc have almost the same composition. This is in conflict with different equilibrium compositions with the liquid phase and typically leads to numerical issues!

This is different with "para", because this model is a MICRESS redistribution model which is compatible at triple junctions. In your case it is better to use the bottom temperature as reference for the transformation direction, the other option in some cases may lead to fluctuations.

I still had no time to analyze the "segmentation" problem...

Bernd

Atur
anti_bot: 333

Re: Simulation of delta-ferrite/austenite solidifcation sequence under SLM conditions

Post by Atur » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:47 am

Dear Bernd,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, the segmentation problem also appeared when I couple para option with bottom_temperature. However, result seem to be very similar with local_velocity option so I think I will stick with that.. but besides that, most of the problems are actually solved including negative concentrations. My only doubt is: in the beginning solidification front has "freckles" in .driv output and the value goes down as -35. Afterwards, it is always stable between -15 and 0. This was the most stable result I can get and I assume the values should be somehow okay.

I have one small question, is it possible to make grains size and morphology analysis in DP micress? If not, do you have any suggestions how can utilize any output from mciress to analyze grains size and morphology?

Regards,
Ahmet

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:02 pm

Dear Ahmet,

I am not sure whether "Morphology Analysis" in DP_MICRESS can help you. It can be used for identifying and counting closed regions of a MICRESS output which are characterized by an interval of the field value (closed isolines). The grain number typically can be taken from .TabK or .TabGD. If you want to count segregated regions it may be an option for you.

Bernd

Atur

Post by Atur » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:00 am

Dear Bernd,

thank you for your reply. I saw in forum that with Dp Micress version 6.1. it is possible to plot IPFs from .miller outputs. So, I downloaded Dp 6.1., however I am not able to open and visualise any output (the interface is quite diffent), e.g. it asks to select files to display however it doesnt provide the option to select anything else but .mcr files. I also tried to check documentations but havent find any step-by-step explanation.

I would appreciate your help!

Regards,
Ahmet

ralph

Post by ralph » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:35 pm

I am afraid that we cannot display IPF maps from Miller indices at the moment. Sorry.

Regarding DP 6.1:
This is really old stuff.
The 'exe' is an self-extracting archive. If you unzip it manually, you will find an 'Manual.pdf'. Unfortunately, it says that the option you are looking for is only available on Linux. As DP 6.1 is an 32-bit elf executable, you have to run it on system which supports this.

Best,
Ralph